Monastery in Jordanville

Saturday, March 24, 2007

There is a beautiful, gilded monastery nestled between the hills in Jordanville, NY. It's a Russian Orthodox Monastery.

Jordanville Monastery-1

This area of the Mohawk Valley is home to a large number of Russian immigrants, most of whom emigrated to America during times of persecution. The monastery was founded in 1928. we took a trip out to Jordanville. Read about our visit at New York Traveler.net.

7 remarks
Strikeslip said...

I always loved this place -- especially driving by on a windswept sunny winter day. The golden onion shaped domes and the bearded monks make you think you were magically transported to Old Russia.

12:18 PM  
threecollie said...

We have never stopped, but we bought our bulk tank at a farm just a couple of miles from the monastery. It is truly a beautiful place. Your photos are excellent!

2:24 PM  
Unknown said...

Thanks for bouncing in with your comment about the trampolining snowboarder.

I was just reading your piece on the monestary- amazing how many little-known treasures we have in these parts. We'll have to go take a look at it sometime.

I'm sure women who want to visit will appreciate your warning about the dress code- even if they don't appreciate the policy!

2:26 PM  

How I wish I had brought a skirt, believe me! I did want to see inside the church. Oh well!

3:02 PM  
The Tour Marm said...

Beautiful photos of the monastery and cemetery. Soooo Dr. Zhivago!

Sorry you didn't have a skirt!

9:30 PM  
Martha said...

My dad went to seminary there...I have fond memories and hope to go back soon. Yes, pack a skirt! A LONG one at that.

5:27 PM  

Hello, Marfa, and thanks for visiting! OK, I will be sure to pack a long skirt next time. I'm not fond of short skirts, anyway.

Interesting that your dad went to seminary there. Does he have any interesting stories?

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

Design by Carl.