Going Buggy

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Ugh! Leave it to New York to make a mess and then complicate things!


New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer's plan for three different kinds of driver's licenses raises plenty of questions, some of which can't be answered yet:

Q: What are the different licenses?

There will be three:

BASIC LICENSE. These will be made to the same standards as current licenses, except they will be available to illegal immigrants who provide a valid foreign passport. These licenses will be clearly marked as not valid for federal ID. That means they could not be used to board an airplane, even for a domestic flight.

REAL ID LICENSE. These will be up to tougher new federal standards under the Real ID Act, passed to deter would-be terrorists. These licenses would be acceptable ID for domestic air travel, among other uses.

ENHANCED LICENSE. These will be as secure as a U.S. passport in order to comply with the rules of the border-tightening Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. Enhanced licenses would allow the user to cross into Canada after new stricter rules go into effect in the summer of 2008.

Q: Should I get a passport, or a regular driver's license, or an enhanced license?

A: Good question. It will probably depend on how you expect to travel, and how much you are willing to pay for the convenience of wallet-sized identification.

Makes me want to get a horse and buggy, but I think you need a license for that, too.

6 remarks
threecollie said...

This whole issue is a horrific mess, in my opinion. A national ID card is an abomination even if they call it a driver's license.
I wonder if when this whole boondoggle started, Spitzer honestly only wanted to give licenses to illegals or if there was another whole hidden agenda.
And I am grateful to the town clerks who are threatening to turn in illegals who show up for licenses.

12:57 PM  

I think there was a hidden agenda. There is some evidence that the NYRI thing is related, too. Ever heard of the North American Union and the SPP?

It's touted as an economic deal, based on NAFTA, but there are plans to remove our northern and southern borders, have a common currency, and a common government. This will essentially end the United States of America as we know it. It is treason, no doubt about it. The REAL ID and the open borders and the "energy corridors" are all part of the plan. Abomination is a good word for it.

P.S. Rudy Guilani's law firm is overseeing both projects. And guess who President Bush has endorsed for next president?

2:10 PM  
windyridge said...

oh boy! It will be very interesting to see how this all plays out.

6:59 PM  

The farmers in my area need migrant workers. There were several roundups of illegals this year. So why aren't we issuing enough green cards to meet the demand for workers? If we let them in legally, and therefore know who we have let in, there is no need for the basic license. And I could be wrong but I'm betting the migrants in my area do not have passports, so who is this law aimed at?

As I understand the new enhanced license it will only be good for travel in North America so I will continue to renew my passport. I use it for ID for both domestic and foreign air travel. My mother can no longer drive so her passport is her only form of ID and she uses it at the bank and when shopping. We were once told by a store clerk that a passport wasn't a valid ID and that she could only accept a drivers license as ID to write a check. I called the manager and then had to argue with him.

In this electronic age I have no doubt that eventually we will have a national ID that will be your DL, passport, credit cards and medical card all in one. It will probably have a tracking device built in so that when I develop dementia in my old age and disappear to the beach for a week, my kids can track me down.

8:33 AM  

I'll bet you everything that the tracking device will be implanted into either your forehead or your hand (Rev. 13:16).

9:23 AM  

By the way, drivers licenses in North Carolina already have the seal or insignia of the North American Union.

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

Design by Carl.