First Snow

Saturday, December 01, 2007

We got our first real snowfall of the season last night. Just in time for December, my favorite month!

Winter Arbor

Everything is so fresh. This is not that dry, powdery stuff we get sometimes that melts away in a day. This is lake effect snow (from Lake Ontario) so it is a little wet. It clings tenaciously to the tree limbs and roof eaves.

The best part about snow is that it muffles everything. The neighborhood takes on a reverent hush. I just love it. Unfortunately, it won't last long. Sleet and ice are forecast for the weekend. But this is Upstate New York-- we'll get more snow very soon!

4 remarks
Nicole said...

Long time reader, first time commeting. I just wanted to say how much I enjoy reading your blog. I was born and raised in utica but ive been away at college for the past 4 years. I discovered your journal recently and Ive really enjoyed reading it. It makes me feel closer to home. Ive read most of your back entries, and while home over thanksgiving break I dragged my boyfriend to jordanville. Id never heard of the monastery until reading you. I was amazed to say the least. Being poor college students its been nice to see some places you go on a budget. Every year my best friend, boyfriend and I come up with a summer to do list, and having seen your site, this years will be much longer. Its quite impressive what history buffs your children are. Ive never been one for history but my boyfriend can recite the entire history of rutger park (5 huge houses on rutger st). I guess I just wanted to introduce myself and say thanks... So Hello, and Thank you.

3:27 PM  

Kiwi Green, I can't express what joy it brought me to read your comments. These kinds of sentiments are what make blogging so wonderful-- that someone out there really enjoys what I blog about! And not only that, but you are from New York and even though you are away, you find a little bit of home while reading and seeing the photos.

Thanks for introducing yourself! I am honored to have you for such an interested reader.

And, wow, the history of Rutger Park?! Yes, Utica used to be such a beautiful and important place, huh? Maybe someday, again...

Thanks for visiting. :) I hope to "see" you around more often. Feel free to offer suggestions if you find a great place to visit. I'm always open to ideas! God bless!

4:00 PM  
JenLo said...

Wow, you really DID get it! We just got a dusting--you could see the grass through it. Nonetheless, the kids were out bright and early with their sleds!

4:08 PM  

Yep, we got it! It's icy underneath. My kids were out, too, despite 19 degree temperatures! Hot chocolate cures all chilly ills, though.

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

Design by Carl.