July 4th at Erie Canal Village in Rome

Friday, July 11, 2008

We chugged out to Rome to celebrate Independence Day. I wanted to hear the soldiers at Fort Stanwix read the Declaration of Independence, but I'd heard that admission was free for the Erie Canal Village in Rome, NY. I'd been wanting to go there for years! It was the perfect opportunity for us. So off we went.

Historic NY Canal Sign

You can read about our visit here at my New York Traveler.net blog. I only have part one published yet. We did so much that it was impossible to put all our activities down in one post! I'm also working on a video of our ride on the Erie Canal, on the packet boat. That's taking some time because I have a lot of footage. Stay tuned!

2 remarks
Amanda said...

Have I mentioned that I worked at the ECV when I was a teenager? It's nothing like it was back then--in those days it was funded by the city and quite a bit more was going on, plus the buildings were in much better shape. You could get full tours of every building, not just the roped-off peek-in.

9:06 PM  

I do think I remember you saying that before. That must have been an absolute BLAST! I went when I was 14 years old, and it has changed a lot since then. No more train ride, either. Oh well. It was still fun! It took me 4 posts to blog about it all. Did you know about my other travel blog where I post our adventures now?

Thanks for your comment. :D

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

Design by Carl.