Good NY Travel Apps

Monday, January 17, 2011

I have a feeling that I have probably only scratched the surface for New York travel apps. I have looked at some, downloaded them, kept some, uninstalled others. I thought I'd share a few of the really superior ones. Please leave any of your own suggestions in the comments, I would just love to discover more.

NYC Mate
This is a great app, perfect for the city traveler. It's a map of the subway routes for Manhattan. It's the same map that you see posted in the subway train stations. I love this app!

Farmshed
This is a great app, whether you travel or not. It's a database of farms, farmer's markets, wineries, orchards, buying clubs, u-pick farms, restaurants, and loads more for Upstate New York. WOW.

Trails
This is distributed by Demand Studios. It's a beautiful app and PERFECT for the hiker and nature lover. The app will locate trails near you, or you can search all trails in New York State or other regions. You can also rate the trails, get instant local weather, a description of trails, the length and number and average duration of walking the trails, and more.

Cheap Gas
This app isn't exactly unique to New York; you an use it anywhere. It's a simple app that detects your location and spits out the gas prices where you are. You click the station on the list to get a map of the location. WOW, gas is pricey in New York State!

Yelp
OK, everybody probably has Yelp. But I mention them because this is a cool app. I haven't had a lot of travel time to use it, but it's very handy when yu are out of town and want to find a local restaurant or something.

Goby
This is a new one that I just downloaded. Goby is an app that finds things to do where you are. First, Goby detects your location. Then you plug what you are interested in (for example, what to do today). The selections are pretty narrow-- you really have to have a good idea of what you want to do (say, historical museums), and Goby will display results of historical museums in your location.

Of course, some apps may be free, some may charge. All the ones that I mention here are free. A few have advertisements and such. I don't care if they do, I can ignore the AT&T ads and diet pills that work ads easily enough, especially if the app is fabulous. :D

However, the apps lists are, for me, a little difficult to locate sometimes. I wish there was one place that listed them all, by categories. The iTunes site doesn't seem to list them all (not that I can find), and the Apps app in the iPhone seems limited. SO it's very hit and miss.

Please leave a comment if you have a terrific gem of an app that you want to share. I am always looking for more!

3 remarks
Clint said...

Good post---I think Farmshed sounds like something I would like. Blessings...

11:12 AM  
Covnitkepr1 said...

I have added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit my blog and become a follower also.

11:40 AM  
Toyin O. said...

Great tips, thanks for sharing.

6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

Design by Carl.