Abandoned House Near Geneva, NY

Thursday, March 03, 2011

While driving south of Geneva, NY, along the lake, I spotted this abandoned old house. I love old houses.

Old House 1

It was once a sweet little beauty, in it's time. My guess is that it was built in the 1880s or so. It's got gingerbread detailing and other very fine elements. The builder took great care when he built it.

Old House 3

Over the years, the homeowners added on to the structure. That front porch is very 1940s.

Old House 2

I wonder how long it's been empty? Don't houses like this make you wonder? Who built this house? What happy memories are here? Were the rooms filled with the happy laughter of children (one of the best fathers day presents, you know)? Did these people have a farm, did they perhaps raise chickens or were they part of the local hops or vineyard-growing economy? What happened here? Why did they leave?

Old House 4

The original stoop had obviously fallen away long ago. It's replacement was a pitiful and undersized concrete block, very harsh and ugly for such a sweet little home.

I wanted to go inside. I love roaming through old houses. But I wasn't completely sure if this one was still occupied... if not by people than perhaps by rodents with big teeth... so I just peeked inside the windows.

Old House 5

That's 1970s paneling and flooring. The place was probably rented out and eventually abandoned. Someone's slippers were left on the hallway floor. :( The place looked very dusty.

To me, houses seem like living organisms. It's tragic to see them empty. Like the discarded Velveteen Rabbit or Woody the Cowboy, I feel sad for homes that are no longer occupied but left to rot in solitude. A very sad sight.

6 remarks
Mike said...

Interesting! I'm amazed you actually looked inside! Haha! Very intriguing!

5:23 PM  
Clint said...

This is a wonderful post. I, like you, am drawn to old houses and barns. They beckon with stories of the ages. I'm happy you stopped and took the time to investigate. Blessings to you.

5:34 PM  

I totally agree with you. Poor sad, beautiful, house. I hope someone loves it soon and brings it back to what it deserves to be.

9:02 AM  
Coupon Queen said...

I saw this and so wished I could buy it and restore it to its original glory. I love the arch to the windows and all the detail work. The wear on the stair treads made me think of all the stories the house could tell. Thank you for sharing it. :)

1:14 PM  
Susan said...

I love the trim along the roof, gives it character. If someone doesn't want to live in it anylonger why don't they put it or the land up for sale? This place would look awsome with christmas lights.... ya, we got more snow today so I'm feeling like it should be christmas!
:-)

11:38 PM  
Unknown said...

I love old house too! When we snowmobile out West we often come upon old log homes and structures. I often wonder who lived there and how they got to this place and if it was a town or just a mountain mans cabin.

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

Design by Carl.