Lots of Hacking Going On

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Remember just two weeks ago how I gleefully celebrated the new look to my other travel blog, NewYorkTraveler.net? Well, I'm eating my words because it was hacked a week later. :( What a mess.

It seems that there is a lot of hacking of WordPress blogs going on. I can immediately think of at least a dozen people I personally know who have had their blogs hacked. Usually, a hacker inserts hidden, malicious links and/or images. Some redirect the blog to a malicious site. It's getting pretty fierce.

I had all my blogs updated and everything. My blogs may have been hacked a few times, without me knowing! I have no idea exactly how they got in. For one instance, I installed a plugin whose owner had evil intent. In another instance, maybe it was through the WooThemes theme I was using (which had a vulnerability). But the day I found out about that, I'd updated the theme. According to MySQL backups, someone had hacked into the blog previously, before those issues.

Anyway, lots of other bloggers are getting hacked, and they don't have the same plugins or themes. What the heck is going on?! And why can't these hacking idiots get THEIR OWN WEBSITES?

1 remarks
blueyes said...

This is why I'm hesitant to update things on the get go. I like to wait and let everybody else go first to see the results lol

Luckily I never had to update my blog theme as I just change the headers and colors and what not.

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

Design by Carl.