Thank God It's Not Rain

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Well, yesterday's forecast called for no new snow for my area. Talk about a blunder. I took this picture when the snow really got going, this morning.

Feb 8 2007 snow

That fallen tree in my backyard is our new summer project.

I have to cut the weather forecasters some slack-- Lake Effect snowstorms are monstrously hard to predict. When the winds blow, the winds blow. Loads of heavy snow are not too common in the Mohawk Valley, however. Lake Effect must be pretty hefty to blow this far east. We have a total of about 2 feet so far. They're saying to expect 3-6 more inches by Friday night.

My relatives in Oswego, NY, are stuck. Some areas up there have gotten over 100 inches of snow. It was falling at a rate of 4 to 5 inches an hour. Some folks must be stark, raving mad by now.

Looks like we'll be holed up for a while. I have been happily cooking soup (making my own chicken stock!) and baking all day (pie and breads). We are cozy and I am thankful that the electricity is still humming along.

Also, after the tremendous rainfall and subsequent flooding over the summer and fall, I am very relieved that we are finally getting our precipitation in solid form. At least this stuff will not rage through my basement and wipe out my furnace like it did last year. We'll see how spring thaw comes along.

1 remarks
threecollie said...

Hi Mrs. M..hope you are keeping warm during this cold, snowy, nasty spell!

6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

Design by Carl.