Steuben Memorial Site, Remsen, NY

Thursday, September 20, 2007

We'd been wanting to visit and pay respects to Baron Frederich Wilhelm Augustus Steuben, aka Baron von Steuben, buried on Starr Hill Road in Remsen, NY. He is known as the "drillmaster of the American Revolution," but affectionately known as "von Schtooby" to my history-buff kids. My daughter says (in a very good German accent) that any American desiring to learn the techniques of the bayonet must have asked himself "vhat vould Schtooby do." Our trip to his burial site was sobering and stunning. The property is gorgeous.

You can read more about our wonderful visit, at New York Traveler.net.

5 remarks
My Posting ID said...

What a treat to find this site! I had googled "burial on private land in new york" because a friend had expressed curiosity about rules/regulations for such, and this is what popped up. Thanks for giving us this look at a very interesting place. When I am next in that area, I will be sure to go have a look.

1:00 PM  

Hi Nick, and thanks for visiting! We loved Steuben's memorial site.

Also, as a sidenote, it is legal to use one's own private property for burial, at least in Oneida County. I had recently been to the Codes in my town, and that was on the list that I saw. Of course, anyone should check their own county and town for regulations, but I found it surprising that any landowner can have a cemetery on his property!

4:36 PM  

"Vhat voot Von Schtooby do!"

6:15 PM  
Lady Neferankh said...

Hi, I just wanted to say I stumbled across your blog, and it's really great and refreshing to see something like this! I love American Revolutionary history, and it's wonderful to see someone who is a history buff highlighting all these little known places !Keep on posting!

12:21 AM  
Amanda said...

Clearly I missed this lovely post back in September... just wanted to say that we love going here in the summer. With rest rooms right on site, it's a perfect, quiet, restful spot for a picnic, game of frisbee, a book or even a nap in the grass!

I'm just brainstorming here... what do you think of a CNY blogger picnic here this summer? Might be fun, and still an anonymous location. Would sure make for some good blogging material, too.

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

Design by Carl.