Trenton Falls, Barneveld, NY

Saturday, October 06, 2007

The Mohawk Indians called it "Kauy-a-hoo-ra," or Leaping Water. Trenton Falls leaps no more, but it is still a grand site to see.

Trenton Falls ScenicTrails Welcome

The Falls 2


I see why Trenton Falls is only open at designated times of the year. The Falls are breathtakingly beautiful, but also dangerous for explorers. I wish we could have walked down to the creekbed and onto those beautiful slabs of shale, but I understand why the power company restricts such access.

Since the creek is no longer "Leaping Water," I wonder what the Mohawks would call it now? Read about our adventurous hike up the mountain to see the Falls, here at New York Traveler.net.

15 remarks

Beautiful photos. Nice scenery up there.

The Falls look more like the Trickles, instead, now. Maybe the Mohawks would call it "Flat Rock on which is written heapum big mistake of white man: no water."

10:04 PM  
hh said...

wonderful photos! Thanks for sharing this. As I comment, we are getting a drenching...too bad it came after your visit though!

12:52 AM  
threecollie said...

What an interesting and informative post! And I love the photos too. Thanks

8:22 AM  
Tara said...

I came across your blogs by complete accident. I have been reading forever now and have a list of things to do around here and some great tips for our never ending remodel :) Thanks!

10:48 PM  

Herc, I wish I knew Mohawk for "trickles"!

hh and threecollie, I am glad you enjoyed the photos and info.

Tara, thanks for visiting! I think the best part about blogging is meeting new people and sharing ideas. I hope you come again!

9:01 AM  
Windyridge said...

This place looks fantastic. I definitely will plan a trip here. Such interesting photos, really whets my appetite.
I'd like to add your blog to my links.

9:35 AM  

Thanks for visiting, "windyridge"! Trenton Falls is only open a few times a year; the links I posted will take you to the Town of Trenton website where you can get more details. Thanks for linking to me, too! I really like your blog!

9:41 AM  
Windyridge said...

Oh only a few times a year huh? Ok, I will investigate that. I did a small link round up and put you in there. I plan to do that every once in a while. Glad you enjoy my blog!

9:35 AM  
Scribbit said...

I just saw an episode of "Great Hotels" on the travel channel where they went to Mohonk Resort and it sold me on it. Someday I'm going there.

11:54 AM  

The Mohonk Resort is near New Paltz, NY. The mountain house, built atop a gorgeous rock strata formation, looks a great deal like the same formation of Trenton Falls. I've never been there (it's south of Kingston, NY, New York State's first capital city). But the Hudson Valley is beautiful. It is flanked by the Catskills, which, if you are ever looking for some drop-dead scenery, is the place to go. The Adirondacks (NY's largest mountain region) is rugged and intense; the Catskills are soft and lush-- a bit like the difference between a Northern woman and a Southern belle. Both have their own beauty, but are as different as night and day.

I used to live at the edge of the Catskills, in the mountains of the Allegheny. What an experience. I woke up every morning to see the smoky morning mist rise up from the heavy heads of trees. It was like watching crowds of trees respirate as they woke up from their nighttime slumber. Lovely!

At any rate, the Hudson Valley is beautiful. We visited Albany a few years ago. You can find some pictures of our journey here.

2:08 PM  

What a fantastic and informative post! At one, great beauty and a sad statement on man's affect on nature... I believe the CURRENT Mohawks would now call it "Our Land by Claim" and demand for a cut of the money for the electrical production.

8:06 PM  
Anonymous said...

I just love industrial ruins. Not necessarily any pollution they might have caused in their working days, but I love discovering and exploring them. Cool pictures.

6:51 PM  
EHT said...

What an interesting post. I need to do more of this for my Georgia On My Mind site.....

I loved the pictures of the concrete ribs that had been abandoned. It would be interesting to show them to students at the beginning of a lesson regarding changes over time or even how we eventually harnessed man of our resources.

Thanks for visiting History Is Elementary. I have only read snippits of Columbus' journals lately, but I did read some significant biographies some time ago. I'll have to check out your suggesion. Thanks!

Your blog design looks great!

3:46 PM  

DDBus Guy-- the Mohawks are "extinct" now, I believe. But their Nation brothers, the Oneidas, are fighting for their land back.

NYCO, I love ruins, too. I have liked your past blog articles on Russia and Korea. Now THERE'S some industrial ruins! May I recommend a terrific website called "Ghost Town"? Right up your alley.

EHT: thanks for visiting and thanks for your kind words! Yeah, I wanted in the WORST way to explore more of the "ribs" but I feared getting kicked out of the park! I'll have to check out your Georgia on My Mind website again!

4:41 PM  
Greg Gallagher said...

My brother and I used to go cliff diving from these falls as kids of 7 and 8 years old. It's been so long since I have been back. Thanks for the beautiful pictures. I grew up in Barneveld and have to show my little girl where Daddy lived as a child.

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

Design by Carl.