The Death of the Travel Blog?

Sunday, December 09, 2007

Stephanie over at Make the Great Escape has a great post bewailing her StumbleUpon adventures... or rather, the lack of. (Thanks, Happy Hotelier, for the link). It's a great post, and amazingly, I was just thinking the exact same thing last week as I, too, perused StumbleUpon's travel posts.

The travel blog content of StumbleUpon... isn't. It really isn't there. Instead there're a lot of ads and marketing businesses sites. Airline fares? Hotel reservations? Concert tickets? Where are all the travel blogs??? This is pitiful.

As for me, for a good year I kept this blog strictly on our travels. But being a New York traveler meant that for 6 months out of the year, I could not really travel (in case you haven’t heard, we get tons of snow around here). So I’ve branched out, and can get quite chatty. But I still blog about our travels, whenever and wherever we take them.

I don’t think it’s time to bemoan the “death” of the travel blog yet… not yet. For thousands of years, people have always loved a good story. I am confident that people always will. Travel blogs– though they be rare and though they be obscure– will remain, because they tell a good story.

I know there ARE travel blogs out there. Why aren’t they being Stumbled, for pete’s sake?

Now here's a shameless plug: I have a StumbleUpon button at the end of every post. If you read a good article here, please "Stumble" me. I shall do the same for yours and for other blogs. StumbleUpon was created to be a port to find really great weblogs and websites, not a haven for full-blown marketing schemes and advertisements. Let's resuscitate the travel blogs, and other great blogs out there! (I've written a quick tutorial on adding StumbleUpon to your blog at Mrs. Mecomber's Scrapbook).

P.S. For all your travelers or travel bloggers out there, Happy Hotelier has an interesting chart of the T-List. I have the entire T-List in my sidebar, in an expandable widget. Feel free, anyone, to steal it and use it.

1 remarks
Anonymous said...

Yes! More travel blogs Hospitality Industry needs more!


Stephen Barth, Founder of HospitalityLawyer.com, Challenges the Industry to Go Non-Smoking

Please read more at
http://blog.hospitalitylawyer.com/

and fyi...
HospitalityLawyer.com presents the 6th Annual Hospitality Law Conference, Monday, February 11th through Wednesday, February 13th 2008. The Conference will be held at the George R. Brown Convention Center in downtown Houston.

At the 2008 Conference, attendees can get current on pressing concerns in the hospitality industry including franchising, legislation, premises liability, and changes in employment and management contracts. There will be practical tips on metadata, ethics, and corporate compliance, and updates on the ADA and e-discovery.

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

Design by Carl.