People of the Turning Stone: Skenandoah Boulder, Oneida, NY

Friday, December 21, 2007

We've been by it countless times. Every time we zip by it, we grab a fleeting glimpse and wonder aloud to each other what is etched on it, what is it's significance, and why it is there.

I'm talking about the Skenandoah Boulder, on Route 5 outside of Oneida village limits.

Skenandoah Boulder


The Boulder


Update: That was as close as i could get to the stone. BUT come spring, I did get close and snapped a few photos. Check out the plaque, the photos, and the history I discovered about this intriguing area! I have it posted on my blog, New York Traveler.net.

2 remarks
Ralph Hitchens said...

Who was "Schoolcraft?" Henry Rowe Schoolcraft, a mid-19th century ethnographer whose work inspired Longfellow to write The Song of Hiawatha.

3:23 PM  

Why thank you, Mr. Hitchens! I love that poem by Longfellow; never heard of Henry Rowe schoolcraft.

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

Design by Carl.