In Case You're Stopped and Questioned on the Street

Saturday, February 16, 2008

I used to have a radio show (in my younger days, I was a DJ at some local radio stations), and one segment of my program was called "In Case You're Stopped and Questioned on the Street." I was a Keeper of Odd Knowledge (a real K.O.O.K., lol) and collected weird and unusual (but factual!) information. I read a few such articles on the air, to the delight (or so I hoped) of my listeners.

Today, while working on grammar with my young son, I came across this little oddity and it had the family cracking up! It reminded me of those old KOOK days.

Did you know that the plural for "beef" is "beeves"?

OK OK, so I am easily entertained! But now you know the plural for "beef"! Check it out on the dictionary, it's true! And you now have an answer in case you are ever stopped and questioned on the street!

6 remarks
hh said...

well thankee yankee ;)

3:15 PM  
Amanda said...

Interesting! I just HAD to go to dictionary.com to look it all up. If I understand that correctly, it shows 'beeves' for 2, and 'beefs' for 4. *huh*

I just use 'beef' as singular and plural. Like 'fish.' Unless I'm speaking biblical... loaves and fishes. Fishes and beeves. I think I have beefs with that.

I love odd knowledge.

5:38 PM  
Mercedes said...

Mrs. Mecomber I am trying to vote for your video but I can't figure it out. How do I get your video to be faced against another one. I go to view and vote but can't figure out how to scroll down to your video. Help!

10:15 AM  

I sent you an email, Money, with what I *hope* will help with the voting. Yes, is very, very frustrating to vote-- you'd think Yahoo would have a better system.. grrr. Here's hoping I have perseverant fans, lol.

YW, HH. And Mrs. W-- it's true!
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/beeves

I do think it depends on what region you live in the US. Here in the northeast I've only heard "beef" for singular and plural tense. The textbook from which I got the information was published in Texas, and I know they are a bit loco out there. ;) HA!

Anyway, that's the reason it struck us as so funny, we'd never heard it used out here!

10:34 AM  
Anonymous said...

Now that is really *odd*! I would have never guessed. I thought it would still be "beef".

I love random facts like this :)

2:31 PM  

Isn't it the funniest thing! lol! I'm still chuckling. "Beeves." Just to say it aloud or see it makes me start the giggles again.

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

Design by Carl.