More on the Oneida Stone

Thursday, June 05, 2008

I'd written about our little trip to the Skenandoah Boulder in Oneida Castle, NY, and how it spawned a tremendous curiosity in me. I am in the process of finding out more about the Oneida Indians, their migration to the lands we now call Central New York, and where their national landmark, the famed Oneida Stone, went to. In 1850, the "white men" took it and placed it in Forest Hill cemetery in Utica, NY. I have since learned that in 1960, the stone was returned to the Oneida People. I have hopes of going to the cemetery to see it's placement marker, and also of trying to discover the exact whereabouts of this mysterious stone! It's like a little investigative activity! :) I'll keep you up to date on my findings.

0 remarks

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

Design by Carl.