LIFE Photos Online!

Saturday, November 22, 2008

This is a terrific development-- Google has started to post archived LIFE magazine photos online, in their online image database. The photos are terrific! Most are historical and give you an amazing glimpse into the eras gone by. So far, there are two million images online (so I've heard), with *only* eight million more to go. LIFE magazine was renowned for taking the most incredible photos. It's a history lesson just going through them. The quality is amazing-- this is one of my favorite "old" photos, taken in the early 1900s. It's the Tsar of Russia and his wife on their coronation day. (Nicolas and Alexandra and their children were brutally murdered by Leninists in 1917).

Tsar


The image database is here. Everything is organized by decade, from the 1870s to the 1970s. It's pretty neat! Of course, I like the "usual" kinds of photos (presidential portraits, landmarks and buildings, etc), but the photos of everyday, average people living every, average lives are really great. I like photos that tell me what life was like back then, when things were slower and simpler, before the age of the superjet and Big Box coffee franchises. Take a peek, I'll bet you'll find it amazing!

3 remarks
Anonymous said...

Wow. I wonder if they would have the photographs that Cornell Capa took when he went down to Ecuador to get the story of the Operation Auca incident. I read that the sky was record-breaking black that day.

9:53 PM  
Anonymous said...

These are the kind of things that I enjoy looking at. If I find an old photo album at a yard sale I'll buy it. I'm so curious about every day people's lives. Thanks for the link I'll be poring over those pages.

1:49 AM  
Anonymous said...

That photo taking me to my unforgettable days...

5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

Design by Carl.