The Brown Month

Thursday, November 05, 2009

Here it is: November. I call it the "brown month." It's the month when the trees are now bare after a vivid and leafy farewell... of overcast, gloomy skies... or periods of rains that make the raked yards all muddy again... November is my second least-favorite month (after February, another brown month).

Arbor Jan102008

When I was a kid, November was the month we had to cram in all the winter preparation work, like cording the chopped wood into piles, for burning during the coldest months. How my hands would get blistered and raw, stacking endless mountains of pre-chopped wood into cords! Ugh!

The nicest part about November is the cooking. :D I do a lot of cooking in this month, cooking I haven't done all summer because it was too hot to run the oven: pies, breads, stews, soups, pot roasts... YUM! Even thinking about it all makes me needing the fat burner pills already... but I don't care.

Sometimes anticipating winter is harder than the winter. I still have to finish off a lot of chores. I'm thinking this winter is going to be a cold, snowy one. I just feel it in my bones. What do you think?

2 remarks
threecollie said...

Brown says it all...with maybe a little dull grey thrown in. I hate the same months as you...not too fond of Dec. or Jan. either.

1:59 PM  
Anonymous said...

I do a lot more cooking now, too. In fact, there's a pot of chicken soup simmering right now.

It almost makes up for the lack of sunshine ... almost.

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

Design by Carl.