Museum of Retro Brands and Packaging

Friday, May 07, 2010


I heard about an amazing museum from a pal on Twitter today; the museum is in London, though: The Museum of Brands, Packaging, and Advertising. I love these kinds of places; there's got to be something like this in the United States, right?? I don't know of any. We went to the Museum of Glass in Corning, NY, a year ago, and they showcased some neat old retro ads (all concerning the glass industry, of course). I love that stuff. As a kid, I used to have a very old and very large metal poster advertisement for Sunbeam Bread. It had that red-cheeked blond girl eating a slice of white bread, the epitome of good health. Hmm. I did a quick search and found the advertisement. I wish I still had the metal sign, it'd be worth a fortune now!



I also have some very old magazines-- Reader's Digest magazines from the 1950s and 60s, and such. Some of the best parts are the very old advertisements and the magazine fundraisers stuff. WoW, that stuff is going back. Things have really changed. Advertising is just so slick today, they have taken selling, buying, and fundraising on a totally different level. Celebrity endorsements never grow old, though. I have some very old ads featuring Loretta Young, Elizabeth Taylor (as a 20-year old!), and Donna Shore. They sure knew how to sell the ads and how to make money back then. :-p Today, ads insult your intelligence, shame you, or coddle the twisted or perverse traits of man to get him to buy stuff. Back then, it was old-fashioned nagging, lol.

The museum has a nice website, check it out if interested. They ALSO have a store full of retro stuff! Ooo lala! ;)

0 remarks

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

Design by Carl.