Remnants of Autumn, and the Lake Effect Phenomenon

Monday, December 13, 2010

Ta da:

snowleaf

Picture taken after our first big lake effect blitz of the season, about a week ago. Over the weekend, we had RAIN. It melted a good deal of the 42" we'd managed to accumulate, ugh. Everything is soggy and ugly...

Ah, but another lake effect is brewing even as I speak.

Lake effect is what we Great Lakes states call those freaky bouts of intense precipitation that bubble over the lakes and move onto land, dumping vast amounts of either rain or snow on us. They always travel from west to east. Storms that come from the east westward are called Nor'easters. They are equivalent to the hurricanes that southerners experience.





photos courtesy of accuweather.com and earthsys.ag.ohio-state.edu

I used to live between Lake Ontario and Lake Oneida. MAN OH MAN did we get snow. Redfield to the north (Tug Hill plateau) routinely gets pummeled with snow-- 10 feet in a storm, sometimes. I don't think we ever got that much, maybe half of that. A LOT of snow there.

I like the snow. I'm looking forward to the muddy lawns being covered again with glistening crystals. Bring it on!

3 remarks
Rachel Renee said...

I agree... Bring it on! I love blizzards! :)

8:45 PM  
Clint said...

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down to the great lake they call Gitchegoomee....

I love the Land of Sky Blue Waters.

Love your post!

9:13 PM  
Clint said...

Thanks! Great post. I've spent a lot of time up on Lakes Michigan, Erie and Superior. Man, you talk about blizzards! Stay warm :)

7:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

Design by Carl.