Rose Hill Mansion, Geneva, NY

Sunday, March 27, 2011

When we were in Geneva, NY, last month, I spotted a beautiful old Greek Revival mansion along Route 69A, overlooking Seneca Lake. It's so enchanting! We stopped so I could snap a few photos.

Rose Hill 1

Rose Hill 2

I did a little digging, and Rose Hill is technically in Fayette, NY. It was built in 1837. It's listed on the National Historic Landmark Register.

One of the finest examples of the Greek Revival Style in the United States. Built (1837-39) on a monumental scale, it reflects the prosperity of Western New York as a result of the Erie Canal.


I walked up to the front portico and peeked inside the front door.

Rose Hill 4

Everything is covered up for the season.

Rose Hill 5

Apparently, there are tours here. They house opens May 1st. Maybe I can go again!


I walked around the house a little. The architecture for even the BACK and side doors is so lovely.

Rose Hill 7

Rose Hill 8

By then, I was huffing and puffing from the exertion and the intense lake winds blasting me back. The winds were so fierce, I thought I was going to lose my camera.

Apparently, no one knows exactly who built the house (that I have seen, anyway). Wikipedia suggests it was local craftsmen who drew the pattern from the famous Minard Lafever's book, The Beauties of Modern Architecture. WOW! Can you imagine, a bunch of local carpenters and craftsmen, cracking open a book and just building a mansion from it?!

This is why I love old houses-- they have mystery and they have quality. Average people did such monumental things. :)

I've GOT to go there someday. I need to keep posting about sensa weight loss reviews so I can save up for gas (ugh) to drive out to Geneva again!

Do you have any glorious mansions in your area? Do you know who built them, and how old they are?

5 remarks
Mimi said...

That is one beautiful house, sorry mansion. For some reason, it remins me of Tara, in Gone With the Wind. I too marvel at how ordinary people built these monumental buildings. We think we're smart in our age, but i think their craftsmanship was truly amazing.
The tours must be fantastic.

12:41 PM  
Sharkbytes said...

A friend and I took the tour a few years ago. It was great! That mansion was always one of the saddest places in our county- it was going to pot, and Mom and I would always be sad when we drove by. Imagine my surprise to see it restored and open for tours! They have done a nice job of keeping the local flavor.

8:21 PM  
mizztraveller said...

the first pic looks nice :)

10:37 AM  
Mo said...

We live an hour from Galveston and have been to quite a few tours of old homes/mansions. The one that made the biggest impact was the May House. It was a more humble home....and there was a sad story that went with it. I LOVE to look in houses....large or small, grand or humble. I also enjoy the George Ranch that is in our area. Porches! Picket Fences! Out Buildings!

9:39 PM  
Anne said...

Glad you enjoyed peeking in the windows, but it is definitely pleasanter to stand on that hill in the breeze of August, than the cold winds of February. If you are impressed with the building of the house, you'd be interested to know that the visitor's center was originally on that spot and was moved downhill and turned into a carriage barn in 1837 or so. (We know the land was purchased in 1837 and the house was finished by 1839, but as you note, not the architect.) Experienced builders often used plan books for construction, but come see us and we will tell you all about it! We are open May 1-October 31 and hope that you will return to the area. Thanks for your comments!
Anne Dealy
Geneva Historical Society/Rose Hill Mansion

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

Design by Carl.