OMG-- Have You Tried Zumba??

Friday, July 08, 2011

I happened across a news story in my local paper about the glories of Zumba. I had heard of it in passing-- my step mother mentioned it a year ago. She said she was involved in a new "zumba" exercise class and she raved about it for a while. It sounded interesting, but since I had no idea what it entailed and since it seemed like another kind of "weight watchers" type activity, I dismissed it in my mind. Then I saw the news story and thought, "WOW!" They made Zumba sound SO exciting!

I called my local fitness place and they gave me the lowdown. Because I have had herniated disks in my back, I have to take all new physical activities slowly (which explains why I have gained weight since then :-p). So I asked about the easiest class, which seems to be populated with a lot of silver-haired ladies. Hmm.

I still want to go. I figure I can start out slowly and work my way up. I used to be in such good shape-- I took jazz ballet and gymnastics as a young lady. I'm sure my body will snap back once I start flexing those old muscles....

...but my problem has been time. Apparently, the preferred Zumba classes are only twice a week. :( And they are early in the week, too, my busiest times. Bummer. But then I saw an ad for zumba on wii!!! Have any of you tried this? I do not have a wii, but I'd surely get one if it was realistic to Zumba and if it helps me stick to it. I know next to nothing about the wii. Are there different "kinds" like the Playstation (1, 2, 3, etc)? Is one better than another?

Please leave a comment if you have any experience and can give me a little advice. This looks very cool but I don't want to waste my money if it's not going to work.

2 remarks
Carli said...

I go to Zumba and I love it. I've missed this week as I'm doing some interview and am preparing for my big final interview. But I do love it and think it does wonders for the core! My abs sometimes ache afterwards! Plus you can adjust your body movements to what you are capable of.

7:52 PM  
blueyes said...

there are a TON of zumba classes at the YMCA but I don't go into any of them. I'm positive I'd be plowing over every last person in there because I have the gracefulness of a ... well I can't think of any animal that is soo uncoordinated but that'd be me so I don't step foot in one of those.

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

Design by Carl.