Video of Subway Ride

Saturday, February 25, 2012

After my computer died and I had to reformat the poor thing, I discovered some files I'd completely forgotten about. One of them was a video I took of our last trip to Manhattan. It was my daughters' first time on the subway, a thrilling experience, hahah!

Watch the video and you tell me....



Sorry the video is so boring. The ride is actually quite boring! And I was uncomfortable taking videos of the other people on the train, assuming they would not like that.

It's quite easy to let your mind wander because the movement of the train is so mesmerizing. You have to stay on your toes to make sure that you don't miss your stop!

When I was a young person living in NYC in the 1980s, I was too afraid to go on the subway. I took the bus, instead. I had grown up on all those horror movies in the 70s, where bad guys murdered unsuspecting victims on NY's subways! Well, a few of my pals decided to cure me of my fright, so they took me on the train. It was fun! We went to the Bronx Zoo, then.

Today, the subways have really changed. For one, the whole system is CLEAN. When I took rides in the 80s, the stench of urine would rise up as soon as you descended the stairs. Homeless people were always sitting on the floors. It was pretty intense.

Now, it's just plain busy. Not at all like the movies. I like the subway because it's so straightforward-- it gets you where you want to go quickly.

3 remarks
Babs-beetle said...

Back in the 70's I travelled on the underground in London every day. It was clean and fast. I would be too scared to travel on it now though. The older I get, the more frightened of things I become!

7:05 PM  
meleah rebeccah said...

"And I was uncomfortable taking videos of the other people on the train -- "

Yeah you're REALLY brave to have done that!

5:09 PM  

Babs: Are you scared because it's too fast or because of crime? I am not so concerned about the speed of the subway (speed?! hahahhaah!!! It takes the durn tooting thing 1/2 hour to go 5 miles!) but I am concerned about crime.

Meleah: OH YEAH. Last thing I want to do is get beaten up on the subway.... while my kids watch! :-p

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

Design by Carl.