FBI Warns Travelers about Malicious Hotel Internet Connections

Friday, May 25, 2012

The hackers are getting sophisticated, that's for sure.

Earlier this month, the FBI issued a warning to travelers about possible malicious software downloads on certain hotel Internet connections. Scary stuff.

The FBI wasn't specific about any particular hotel chain, nor the software involved but stated: "Recent analysis from the FBI and other government agencies demonstrates that malicious actors are targeting travelers abroad through pop-up windows while they are establishing an Internet connection in their hotel rooms.

...The FBI said typically travelers attempting to set up a hotel room Internet connection were presented with a pop-up window notifying the user to update a widely used software product. If the user clicked to accept and install the update, malicious software was installed on the laptop. The pop-up window appeared to be offering a routine update to a legitimate software product for which updates are frequently available.


Years ago, at a hotel, I was on my netbook and was actually prompted to update Adobe Flash. I have no idea if that was credible or not, but I remember getting pretty annoyed that Adobe wanted me to update while I was busy on the computer away from home! Of course, Adobe had no idea of my location (I don't think, anyway!) but it goes to show that there are too many updates far too often. In general, NEVER EVER click a pop-up window. If it persists, shut the machine down or unplug it. Also, use an update-checking software program such as Secunia

I'd also heard yesterday in the news that a Capital One employee was recently discovered selling bank members' financial information and stealing money directly from bank accounts. This activity is very distressing. We have virtually no control anymore over our own money, our own identity. Better get a reliable raleigh nc accounting service and keep watch on your accounts.

1 remarks
vanilla said...

It's discouraging to think that the bad guys are a step ahead of us. I've even become reluctant to "update" when connected to my own network.

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

Design by Carl.