New York Considers Lowering Taxes?!

Sunday, January 06, 2008

I almost fell off my chair when I read this news story at WIXT Syracuse. For a fleeting moment, I wondered if my eyes were playing tricks on me.

Lower school taxes?! Yea, even work toward eliminating school taxes?! (For clarity: school expenses will still be paid for with taxes, but not with the burdensome property taxes as they are now). Schools would be funded by the state.

(Because of WIXT's control-freak restriction on "distributing" their information, I can't copy and paste a section of the story.)

I am in favor of lowering taxes-- especially property/school taxes. But I do wonder how our local schools will change if the monies come from Albany... I suspect this would mean less local control and more state (and federal) control. That is not a joyful prospect.

I think the tax problem that we have now is the result of the state's interference into local matters. Now that the state has made a big mess, their solution is to make a bigger mess to fix the big mess. Such policy is so typically New York!

0 remarks

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

Design by Carl.