Photos of Erie Canal Village in Rome, NY

Saturday, August 23, 2008

I've been posting photos about our trip to the Erie Canal Village in Rome, NY. Here are more! Going over them makes me remember how much fun we had. The Village offers free admission every once in a while, check here for announcements.

This is a photo of the Erie Canal towpath, taken from the bridge. It's used by the horses when they pull the packet boat, and it's also used as a bike trail, part of the Erie Canal Bike Path across New York State.

Bike Trail

The village depicts life just as it was in 1817-1885. Life was very rural and simple. There were barns with livestock in them, houses, and a store, tavern, church, and schoolhouse.

We got to see real chickens.

Chicken Coop

A barn with an empty stall.

Stable

I loved walking through the historical homes best. This one, the Crosby House modeled after 1840 lifestyle, looks a lot like my own home, built in 1855.

Crosby house parlor 1

Crosby house parlor

Harpsichord

Crosby house kitchen

Crosby house kitchen 1

1840 Kitchen 2

An old stone well had been filled in.

Stone Well Filled

Here's a beautiful Victorian house, modeled from the 1880s.

Victorian House Porch

I have more photos, believe it or not! Coming up soon!

4 remarks
chilly said...

Great photos! Enjoyed them much.
Love the bottom photo of the front of the house!

I have a mid to late 1800's Victorian Parlor table almost like the one in the 4th photo here now that I am working on for a friend. It's has a wood top on it, but the table was stored in an old barn and weather has damaged it so much, the owner wants to find a marble top to put back on it and then I'll be done with it. I'll post pictures when I'm finished with it.

2:22 PM  

What an awesome place to visit! The photos are great and they make me want to travel to NY even more than before.

Cece

7:16 PM  
Lidian said...

The sitting rooms in the house are lovely, but I think I prefer my IKEA kitchen! These are wonderful photos, we will have to try and get here some time - we always come through upstate NY every summer.

11:17 PM  
Liz Hinds said...

I love that old house!

I'm listening to Bruce Springsteen's CD The Seeger Sessions and he sings about the Erie Canal. It's great to see it.

4:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

Design by Carl.