Random Photos of Rural Upstate NY

Monday, March 09, 2009

I went out for a nice drive in the heart of Central NY recently. AND I remembered to bring the camera! Wooo! This is what rural Upstate NY looks like in early March. Most of the snow is gone-- although more can be expected here. We don't consider ourselves safe until about mid-April! So the landcspae has a gloomy, muddy brown look to it right now. The gray clouds also lend a "Walton's" feel to it (remember that old TV show?).

This is an old salvage barn store in Madison, NY. I've passed by this place for almost twenty years, and have yet to stop by and take a peek inside. Someday, I'm going to.

Salvage Barn 2

Salvage Radio Flyer

The stuff isn't exactly gold rings, but to a renovator of old homes or an antique collector, these items can be valuable. They do make great rustic subjects for photos!

Salvage Wheels

My son thought the name on this little wagon was funny.

Harley-Davidson Wagon

This is a photo of a house taken in Bouckville, the antiques capital of the U.S., so it is claimed. I couldn't tell if anyone exactly lived here-- I thought I saw a light in the window but didn't want to poke around.

Old House Bouckville

And here is a fine old house in Waterville, NY. I like the style, it's very quirky. Like a lot of other Victorian behemoths of New York, this home has been converted into an apartment building.  

House in Waterville NY

And for no other reason than I think it's interesting, here's a photo of a cliff area in Hamilton, NY. The road used to run right beneath that area, with a sign that said "Falling Rock Zone" on it. I guess motorists saw one too many falling rocks, and the state changed the road to be a further distance from the cliff. I liek the way the tree roots are barely clinging to the edge.

Hamilton Cliff

I also wrote a post about Colgate University, which is in Hamilton, NY. Feel free to peruse that, here.

6 remarks
Anonymous said...

I'm really enjoying your blog. Very interesting photos. :)
Thanks for sharing,
Susie in northern NY

3:50 AM  
Mandy said...

Wow. Your photo of the Bouckville house just makes me want to go renovate it! I would love to get my hands on a house like that!

10:24 AM  

Thanks, Susie!

Emm-- wow, my house is only a little better and is in severe need of renovation-- maybe I should have you over! :D

12:44 PM  
chilly said...

I love going to salvage stores. Never know just what you might fine at them.

Great old houses. Love to know some of the history about of the old house still standing around.

2:37 AM  
Mandy said...

Ha ha! I wasn't judging the house - I just saw it as a blank canvas, so to speak, that I would love to shower with love and attention and make my mark on!

9:31 AM  
Unknown said...

Wonderful photos. I especially love the vintage red of the wagon.

Thanks for visiting me for Sky Watch. Still looking for SW post!

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

Design by Carl.