Quirky Stuff From the Adirondack Museum

Friday, November 04, 2011

In September, we visited the Adirondack Museum in Blue Mountain Lake, NY. I loved the place. It's everything about the Adirondacks and Adirondack culture that you ever wanted to know, and then some. And the museum has EVERYTHING. I mean, everything. It was like someone dug through a hundred grandma's attics and placed them upon walls and on desks and behind glass displays. The museum has the most eclectic collection of stuff I have EVER seen anywhere, from old Adirondack gum wrappers to lumberjack suspenders to eye lash enhancers of the uber-rich who vacationed in the area every summer.

A spruce gum package. Spruce gum, can you believe it? Home grown, too.

5 Spruce Gum Box

Here's a biography of the famous Adirondack hermit Noah John Rondeau. Funny thing is, for a hermit he as awfully social. He sat for interviews, visited New York City and gave speeches, entertained visitors....

44 Noah John Rondeau book

A stuffed mountain lion. Whoever did the taxidermy had a great sense of humor. These cats once graced Upstate NY forests (and still do, by some accounts).

47 Stuffed Mountain Lio

The Adirondacks are peppered with lakes, as this quote suggests. To this day, the United States Postal Service delivers mail via boat.

7 Venice sign

This enormous display case is loaded with old goodies. The museums were stuffed with such paraphernalia.

23 Adirondack Eats

The Smokey Bear costume!

59 Smoky the Bear Suit

Lake Placid was the location for the 1932 and 1980 Winter Olympics.

49 Olympic Medals

Oh, I have many more photos, but I'll leave you enjoying these. It's a great museum. If you are in the area, you MUST go! We loved it.

2 remarks
vanilla said...

Just the sort of place I would enjoy!

(btw, the "Tweet, like, fb" bar on the left is distracting, as it covers the first letter of each line of text. just sayin')

9:56 AM  

Hi Vanilla. Thanks for telling me that the Tweet/FB Sharing bar interferes with the blog text. I appreciate that a lot. I have a huge computer screen so I don't see such things. Your computer must have a smaller resolution, which makes sense if you have had eye surgery or if you can't clearly read tiny print! I moved the Sharing bar over to the right side. Please let me know if there's still a problem. :)

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

Design by Carl.